Thursday, August 30, 2007

Broken Binky!!



While the older kids are hitting milestones by starting a new school year, Seth is marking his own milestones here at home! I decided today was the day to break him of his binky habit and I snipped the nipple part off. I was putting him in the van to go visiting teaching this morning and he asked for it, so I showed it to him and told him it was "broken". He kept asking me, "binky broken?". It kind of broke my heart, but I'm trying to be strong. John and Cooper were big pacifier babies, but I took it away with both of them around 18 months, nursery time. Ella would never take a binky and sure enough found her thumb and still sucks it(at night mostly). Seth has been our most challenging baby and has just (the past six months, I'd say) mastered some important things like sleeping through the night, so I've hesitated taking away his binky until now. I guess it doesn't help that he's the baby of the family either and I don't want him to grow up so fast. I've noticed it does interfere with his talking, so I decided it should be a priority. It was a little hard getting him to fall asleep at nap time, but he did it. Wish us luck on not caving!!

3 comments:

Emily said...

Hey Delana! I found your blog through Amanda's. Your family is beautiful! Good job on breaking Seth of the binky!

Dalana and Mark said...

Hi Emily, thanks for leaving a message! I have checked out your blog too (I also found it through Amanda's). Your kids are all so cute and it sounds like things are going wonderful for you and your family. Caleb is so old now, I rememer him as a little toddler at Amy's house. Wow, time flies!

Kam said...

Wow! no more binky?? I hope the transition isn't too rough -- for Sethy, or for Dalana! You're brave to be letting it go. We're still trying to stick to "nap and bedtime only" but it's getting harder, as she can communicate her "needs" more forcefully! Let us know how it goes. Good luck, Sethy!!