Monday, June 2, 2008

Chalkboard Paint






I'm a little behind the times, and have just recently started to hear about chalkboard paint. Ladies in my ward have painted walls in their homes w/ it and their kids love it. My sister-in-law, Janice, has used it in her son's room too. So, last week I got ants in my pants and decided that my kids would love it also (they all like to draw). I went to Walmart and bought all of the supplies and decided which wall I was willing to give up and this weekend Mark went to town on the project for me. What a great hubby I have, don't you think?! It turned out great, we did do a primer coat and three additional coats, but thankfully it is a half wall. I decided on the wall off of my landing coming up the stairs by all of the kids bedrooms. It's kind of hidden, which is perfect. After the drying (all day Sunday) and I think they call it conditioning (this morning) they were finally able to draw on it today. We had a good time! Hopefully it's just the beginning of hours of fun for them. John has been gone on a trip to Yellowstone w/ Grandparents Bishop for a few days and comes home tonight, so we decided to first decorate it w/ a Welcome Home John message from the kids. I'll be sure to post any negative aspects that come about, if any, just FYI. Or maybe you all already have done this?? We did buy some throw rugs to put against the wall that can be thrown in the wash to try and avoid ruining the carpet too badly w/ colored chalk dust. We'll have to see. Here are some pictures of the finished project and the happy chalkboard artists!

2 comments:

ManicMandee said...

I like what Janice did to Connor's bedroom, but chalkboards give me the willies. I could NEVER do this - even if it was cool.

Dalana and Mark said...

Is it the noises that can be made on chalkboards that give you the willies? Now I want to know. I don't like that nails on chalkboard sound either, but it doesn't bother me too bad. There are other things that give me the willies more. This to me just seemed like something else to make our house fun for the kids (that makes it easier for moms, right?)