Monday, September 10, 2007

GRANDPARENTS





Although not widely celebrated, yesterday was Grandparent's Day so I've had the opportunity to reflect on the "grandparents" in my life (my own and those of my children). What a blessing they each have been to me and my family! The wealth of knowledge and experience they have to share and the love and support they have to offer have truly blessed my life.


Granny and PaPa, my mom's parents, are the only grandparents I have ever known as an adult or child. My grandma is now 71 years old and is in declining health, it's sad to see her struggling. Growing up, I would sometimes live with her and my grandpa when my Mom wasn't doing well. I was named after her, we share the same middle name, Frances. My grandma has red hair and a temper that you hear goes along with it! She has a strong faith in God and has tried to live her life doing what she felt was right and good. I have memories of her teaching me to sit like a lady in a dress, taking me to Girl Scouts and tricking me into swallowing pills by putting them in fruit and cottage cheese. She's a gem! My grandpa passed away when I was in Junior High, but I have fun memories of him. He drove a little Brat pick-up (if any of you remember those) and when I was born and was the first grandchild, he named me his Brat #2. Each grandchild after that was Brat #3 and so on. He had been an alcoholic earlier in his life but had been sober for many years by the time he passed away. That itself testifies of the strong man he was. He was a very hard worker and rarely missed a day of work. I remember going to the bank with him and watching him open mail and pay bills at his desk. He loved iced tea and doing latch hook rugs and had amazing penmanship. The respect those who knew him had for him also testifies of the great man he was. I am thankful for these two people in my life and love them very much!



I now turn to the grandparents of my children. My mom is a special lady. I have never known my dad, so she's been it! My kids love their Grandma Donna. She has had many struggles in her life and could have given up hope many times, but is still hanging in there. She's a good cook and is thoughtful and kind. She has a way of relating to those with mental disabilities. She has nicknames for the kids, John is Prince, Cooper is Precious and Ella Princess. I don't think she's given Seth a 'P' nickname yet, I'll have to ask her about that. Her and my grandma are in the first picture.


Grandpa and Grandma Gunnerson are Bob's parents and are great! Their home is a home away from home for my children. While Bob was sick and dying, they spent a lot of time there. They feel safe and loved in their home and by them. John and Grandpa Gunnerson have always had a special bond. Grandma Gunnerson is hilarious! I'll never forget the support and comfort they were to us in our time of sorrow, even though it was equally as devastating for them to lose a son. Thank you Gary and Dorothy, we love you! They are the couple in the second picture.


In high school, when my mom was having a hard time, I moved in with a family in my ward that had daughters my same age, the Parkers. Grandpa George and Grandma RaNae Parker are still an active part of our lives. I love their family and will always be appreciative of the help they were to me. In their home I felt the spirit and learned how fun family life can be. They consider my kids their grandchildren and my kids consider them their grandparents. We're lucky to have them. The third picture is of them.


Lastly, we've got Grandparents Bishop, Mark's parents. These two are some of the most genuine people I know. They are shining examples of all that is good. They were so quick to accept me, John, Cooper and Ella into their family. I can't believe that I've got TWO wonderful sets of in-laws. My kids absolutely love Grandpa and Grandma Bishop. They are so fun to have sleepovers and to do special little things with the kids. They are always there to help us, we love them so. The final picture is of them.

1 comment:

Kam said...

What a nice tribute to such wonderful, special people in your life. It's also nice to hear a little about your relationship with each of them -- getting to know more about you. thanks for sharing.