Friday, April 25, 2008

Ultrasound Photos and Explanation

Sorry, this is the best scanning job I could do. I know they're small. The first is of the profile and the 2nd is a split one (one of each arm and hand) and the last is another split one w/ the little toes on the left and the feet on the right. Use your imagination if you have to.

Just to explain a little about what I mentioned in my previous post about needing to have a f/u ultrasound to monitor something. The baby has a cyst in the left ventricle of his brain that is very small and I guess semi-common. It doesn't affect the brain development or anything really. I guess some adults have had these cysts their whole life and there are no side affects. Almost always they resolve themselves by 24-28 weeks (or the third trimester), though. So the doctor is just going to monitor it. Every thing else in the brain and all the other organs, etc. looked normal and good, thankfully. He said in his almost 30 years of being a doctor he has seen these cysts before and has never had them be a problem. They are called choroid plexus cysts. You can find both scary and reassuring stuff about them on the internet. I guess the real concern is a link between these cysts and Trisome 18 (which is fatal). From what I've learned, one of these cysts along with abnormal findings in an ultrasound and advanced maternal age are reason for concern and an amniocentesis. The doctor says the chance of this baby having the Trisome 18 (chromosome disorder) w/ only an isolated cyst, and everything else looking good on the ultrasound, is very low. I don't even remember the risk, something less than 1% I think, meaning a 99% chance of a healthy baby. About the same that any person has of having a baby w/ a problem. Very, very rarely the ultrasound is clean and the baby ends up still having the chromosome disorder with the only sign being these cysts. The only thing that is 100% is an amnio., but there are risks to the baby in that procedure by itself and it wouldn't change anything that we'd do. It really does sound like the likelihood of a healthy baby is far greater than there being a problem in our situation, so in the meantime, I'll cling to that and have faith (and worry a little because it's what I do best). We're grateful that everything else looked so good and really feel okay about things and happy. At the beginning of the pregnancy Mark gave me a couple priesthood blessings that were neat and we all know that those hold up more than science even, if it's meant to be. Maybe if you could please, just keep the baby in your prayers. Thanks!

4 comments:

Emily said...

Thanks for sharing Delana. I've been worried. We will definitely keep your baby boy in our prayers. like you said, I'm sure he will be just fine. Have faith. I've heard of these type of cysts and actually know of a few women whose babies showed them in a 20 week ultrasound, and later they disapeared. Those pictures of your baby boy are precious!

Dalana and Mark said...

Thank you Emily! You mentioned you have a few friends whose babies have had these same cysts and they disappeared later, were there babies born fine?

ManicMandee said...

I am sure everything will be just fine! You did a great job of explaining. Try not to worry.

Kam said...

Hey! We still need to have a catch-up conversation sometime soon. I thought I commented on here already, but I don't see myself, so I must not have done it. But let me just say, we're THRILLED that you're having a boy. Tell Ella she'll turn out okay, and may even get spoiled growing up with ONLY brothers. ;) My older brothers were always very protective of me, in a sweet way. And they let me date their cute friends (bonus). My younger brothers were my best friends, and they looked up to me... even sometimes let me boss them around. :)

Our prayers are with you both, for a healthy pregnancy and a healthy baby boy.